Monday, September 7, 2009

And the cupboard was bare...Blueberry Yogurt Flax Muffins

Blueberry Yogurt Flax Muffins

No butter, no milk, no worries. I wanted to make muffins with all the blueberries my Aunt Lily was so kind to give me. I froze most of the blueberries so I would have them handy for smoothies. Another very rainy day in Seattle and a smoothie just didn't seem appealing.

Oh, how nice it would be to smell freshly baked muffins today. Blueberry muffins it is. NO, no, no...no butter. Forget it. Wait. I checked out a few recipes online like foodnetwork, cooks.com, hmmm. I also looked through a few of my old cookbooks. Well, I combined a few recipes and added a few healthy ingredients and SUCCESS! My biggest critics, husband & son, loved my blueberry muffin creation.



Blueberry Yogurt Flax Muffins

Blueberry Yogurt Flax Muffins (Recipe adapted from Alton Brown)

Preheat oven to 380 degrees F.

Combine the following, reserving 1 teaspoon flour, whisk and set aside:12 1/2 ounces cake flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 2 teaspoons baking powder, pinch salt, 1 T wheat germ, 1 T crushed flax seeds

In a mixing bowl, combine the following:1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 1 egg 1 cup "good Greek" yogurt

Toss 1 teaspoon of the flour mixture with 1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries and mix into the muffin batter. Mix by hand just to combine.

Scoop batter into a lined muffin pan. Put the muffins in the oven, set timer to 20 minutes and increase the temperature to 400 degrees F.

Enjoy!!!

2 comments:

  1. This is the most amazing Blueberry muffin recipe I have ever made. It is so light and airy and flavourful. I made a few mods (due to what was in my fridge) and it still turned out great. I used vanilla flavoured Yopitmal yogurt instead of Greek yogurt, I used cream of wheat instead of wheat germ ; olive oil instead of vegetable oil and all purpose flour (only needed 1 1/2 cups). It was fantastic. Thanks for sharing this. If you come across any more wonderful healthy muffins, please share, I have a very ill child and I have to make every bite count. He doesn't absorb nutrients with all his food due to a disease he has so I have to make sure all foods he intakes has great value.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you liked the muffins. I am working on recipes for more nutritional Energy Bars with less junk, so stay tuned. I am sorry to hear about your child. I am a mother too.

    Be Well,
    Gracie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin