Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Lechon

My mom and dad introducing LECHON to my nephew Max!


In the Filipino community, lechon is the centerpiece and the star of many celebrations. I did not grow up in a completely traditional Filipino family, so Lechon was not at every party, nor did we butcher or roast our own pig. These days, like everything else, a lechon can be purchased. No mess, no threat of food poisoning from raw pork, and best of all no hassle. Regardless of how it gets on my plate I Love Lechon!!! The crunchy crisp skin is like the appetizer and the juicy meat that awaits inside...pure bliss!

Well, lechon is not something available all the time. Also, no one needs a WHOLE pig. Who can eat all of that. After the first day, I've pretty much had enough. This does not mean I don't have the cravings every now and then. Besides the crisp skin, I found a way to have my pork and eat it too. I have tried slow roasting pork with much success, but I always feel by day 2, the meat has dried out. OK, forget roasting...braising is the way to go.

Similar to the way Pork Carnitas is made, but the spices and liquids are definitely not Mexican. The result is juicy with a very "Lechon" flavor.

Season with salt and pepper and sear the pork butt, and then add ginger, garlic, green onion, chicken broth, soy sauce, and rice vinegar to the pan. Cover and simmer for 2 hours.

Hawaiian-Style Braised Pork

this recipe is from Epicurious.com

Great side dish to the braised pork is steamed White Rice

and Stir Fried Cabbage (this recipe is also from Epicurious.com)

Shred cabbage, chop green onion and saute in oil, and then add salt, ginger, and sesame oil.

2 comments:

  1. Fellow pinoy here, so I know what you mean about Filipinos loving lechon. I can't get enough of it when they serve up the whole pig at the parties. If you haven't already, try out the lechon at Kawali Grill (I reviewed it on my food blog), it's pretty good. I think Kau Kau in the ID does whole pigs on order.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard about the Kawali Grill, I need to get over there soon.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin