Saturday, October 3, 2009

Wooly Bully...Wooly Pig

You may have heard of it, you may have read about it, but if you haven't tasted it, you're missing out. I got a Facebook message yesterday, "Guess what I have on my back porch? hint will end up like Bacon!!!!! hehehe". The message was from my friend Renata and I knew what she was refering to, Wooly Pig.

Renata was butchering the wooly pig yesterday, but I couldn't come to help until today. I agreed to be there by 10 am today. Before going to Renata's home, I needed to pick up both pork and lamb casings. FYI - casings can be purchased from Uwajimaya. So I got there at 11 am, and we got to work.

Sausage, bacon, terrine, prociutto, Oh My! Shredding, mixing, stuffing...a whole day of FUN. Curing takes some time, so everything we worked on today is not done, but I''ll revisit in a future blog.

The best part of the day was our Lunch Break. For all my troubles the prize was a delicious roasted pork belly on beautifully seasoned white beans. YUM!

The white beans slowly simmered while we worked on the wooly pig. Fresh Bay leaves from the garden added a great flavor.

Ah, the roasted pork belly.

Renata's husband, Rob, picked Italian parsley from their garden for our lunch.

This was incredible! The pork was moist and tender. The beans were an excellent accompaniment to the pork. The skin was light and crunchy with the perfect touch of salt.

2 comments:

  1. Wow - what a unique experience!! Probably good you missed the butchering phase. How did you ever figure out that Uwajimaya carries casings?

    Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fortunately, my friend did the research and called Uwajimaya ahead of time to find the casings.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin