Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Pork Vindaloo with Raita

SPICY and HOT!!! I was watching Sara's Weeknight Dinners the other morning and she had Madhur Jaffrey on the show making Pork Vindaloo. I didn't bother to write anything down, because I thought I'd look for the recipe on Sara Moulton's website. No. I know I have one of Madhur Jaffrey's cook books, but I can't find it anywhere. I'm sure a similar recipe would've been in my book. Oh Well. I'll have to go to the bookstore and check out the new book, and maybe buy it!!!

Tonight I was at the mercy of what I could find online. Thank You Cooking Light. I followed the recipe EXACTLY. This turned out to be so good. I'll still go check out Madhur Jaffrey's new book, but I'll be using this recipe again too.

Pork Vindaloo with Raita
recipe from Cooking Light, MAY 2007
Raita:
1 1/2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
3/4 cup chopped seeded peeled cucumber
3/4 cup chopped seeded tomato
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garam masala
Vindaloo:
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced sweet onion
2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 pounds boneless pork loin, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
2 T olive oil
1 cup chopped seeded tomato
4 1/2 cups hot cooked basmati rice
To prepare raita, spoon yogurt onto several layers of heavy-duty paper towels; spread to 1/2-inch thickness. Cover with additional paper towels; let stand 5 minutes. Scrape into a bowl using a rubber spatula. Stir in cucumber, 3/4 cup tomato, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and garam masala; cover and refrigerate.
To prepare vindaloo, combine onion and next 13 ingredients (through pork) in a large bowl; marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes.
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add pork mixture; sauté 7 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in 1 cup tomato. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until pork is tender, stirring occasionally. Serve with raita and rice.

Yield: 6 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin