Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Yes, he cooks too! Scallops and Risotto

I think it is so funny when women tell me that their husbands/boyfriends/partners "don't cook".  Years ago, most chefs were men, yet men always brag about their mother's home cooking.


Hot pan + Butter + Scallops=YUM

Well, in my home everyone cooks, even my son (although he's enjoying dorm food at college these days).  I started teaching Ty how to handle a chef's knife when he was in kindergarten.  I didn't have him chopping much, I just wanted to make sure he knew how to handle a knife safely. 

My husband is a great cook.  He likes to say he's the chef & I am the prep cook, but we all know who rules in the kitchen...right?
We picked up scallops the other day and John decided to whip up risotto and VIOLA...awesome dinner!!!
Here's the deal with risotto, it's easy!  Everyone says, "don't make risotto if you don't have time".  No true.  However, you can't leave the risotto once you've started cooking it.  Producers of "instant" food have really brainwashed us into thinking food should only take one minute in the microwave.  Shame on them.  Anyway, here's the basic recipe I've used to make risotto for years.  John and I took a risotto class one Valentie's Day (romantic right!)
I don't know if this recipe is traditional, but it works.

Basic Risotto
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 medium-size sweet onion, finely chopped

1 1/2 cups Italian arborio rice

1/2 cup dry white wine (optional)

1/2 teaspoon saffron (or herb of your choice)

4 1/2 cups hot well-seasoned stock (or more)

Heat a 3 quart sauce pan on Medium-High, add butter and onions.  Stir onions and reduce heat when the onions are slightly cooked.  Add Rice.  Stir for a minute or two.  Add the wine and saffron.
Stir.
Stir.
Add 1 cup stock and stir, stir, stir.
When the liquid is incorporated and partially evaporated, add another cup of stock.
Repeat until the rice is barely tender.  The cooking process will take about 20 minutes.
That's it...done.  Easy right!
 
A little note about the stock.  I will use fish stock when serving seafood, chicken stock with pork & chicken, and beef stock with beef & lamb.
 
OK, now get cooking!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin