Monday, March 19, 2012

the food matters project: Curried Tomato Soup with Hard-Boiled Eggs

Wow, I was not prepared to make anything today after a busy St. Patrick's Day Weekend.  Also, my son was home from college, so we celebrated his birthday, which was on March 11th, but he was in Cabo San Lucas for Spring Break...give me a break!!!  Fortunately, I had a few things on hand so I could get started.

Onion, garlic, ginger, and jalapeno all chopped, now toss in a med-high heat pan with canola oil....WAIT...it's 5:30 am.  Stop to Drink Vitamin water in my best crystal, I deserve it in right?

 OK, so I followed all the instructions, added spices, and did not switch out any ingredients. 
So far so good.
 I did not make my own vegetable stock, to be honest I never use vegetable stock. 
I opted for the organic and low sodium.

 OK, a little change in the instructions...I put the veggie broth, chopped tomatoes and coconut milk in my slow cooker.  Why?  Because I can't sit around all day and make soup.  As soon as the liquids came to a boil, I dumped the sauteed vegetables, carrots and potatoes in the slow cooker and took off...gotta walk my dog before going to work.  Isn't she the cutest!!!
My slow cooker is also a rice cooker, so it does not have "HI" or "LOW" options, so it cooks somewhere in between.  I put everything in except the cauliflower.  I wanted to have a little texture and I feel slow cookers tend to turn stews and chili's in to mush.  Many of you might disagreed, but I am still very new to slow cookers and don't think they should be used for everything. Different story...
I left the soup in the slow cooker and went to work.  When we got home, my husband said, "It smells like Brick Lane in here!"  Brick Lane is a neighborhood in London, famous for their Indian food. 

Not bad!  One thing I love about cooking from Mark Bittman's The Food Matters Cookbook is I am using flavor combinations that I don't usually use.  This soup and a warm piece of naan is perfect if you are looking for a light meal.  My husband said, "It's good, but where's the rest of the Indian buffet?"  Ha, ha.

Click here for the recipe, thanks to Joanne of Eats Well With Others and check out the other versions of this recipe at The Food Matters Project.

5 comments:

  1. Love the slow cooker idea... we can definitely get a lot done with these things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (a) your dog looks almost IDENTICAL to my dog! What kind is she?
    (b) So glad you liked the soup! It's definitely one of my favorite things I've made so far from FMP.
    (c) Totally with you on the slow cooker...I'm usually wary of it but it seems like this turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sammi is a havanese. She is quit a handful, so I don't have tons of time to spend in the kitchen, howver, she loves hanging out with me when I cook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gracie, Great idea to use the slow cooker. I make steel cut oatmeal every weekend in mine then I have it ready during the week.

    Love your Havanese. I take my neighbors out walking early in the morning as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gracie, I love that you used the slow cooker for this. It looks great.

    My neighbor has a Havanese that I walk early in the morning as well. Love that dog!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin