Monday, March 26, 2012

the food matters project: Vegetable Coq au Vin

When I read the recipe for Vegetables au Vin with Coq in Mark Bittman's The Food Matters Cookbook, cook time was listed at 40 minutes, perfect for a work night, if it was true.  OK, I didn't believe it anyway.  I made this over the weekend.  Now that I've made it, the recipe is doable in 40 minutes, IF, big if, you opt not to use little onions and cut up a big one instead AND the eggplant is pre-cut and salted, earlier in the day.  With that said, this is a great recipe with fantastic flavor combinations!!!
I fried the bacon first, then put in the chicken. I decided to cut up a whole organic chicken, so I had 1 thigh, 1 leg, 1 breast (cut in half) and the wing.  The rest I will use another day.
The eggplant was cut up earlier in the day, salted, then sat on a strainer for a couple hours.
 OK the little onions.  The best way to peel these little suckers is to dunk them in boiling water for a few seconds, then cut the ends off and peel away!
 I weighed out exactly 8 ounces of green beans.
 OK, everybody in the pot.  I have to admit, I only put in half the wine and substituted more chicken broth, add herbs...simmer, simmer, simmer.
It's not pretty, but DELICIOUS!!!!!  My husband didn't seem to miss the MEAT.
I've made Coq au Vin a few times before and I have to say, I really like this version.  Actually, I will probably make this over and over again.  I might even make it when my son comes home from college (he is not a fan of vegetables).  I'm sure he'll love it!
Click here for the recipe and check out the FifthFloorKitchen's Blog.  Also, you can check out some other versions at the food matters project.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I bet this dish tasted great! Glad to see you've found a new dish to add to your dinner rotation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With all the love put into this dish, your son BETTER love it ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin