Sunday, April 22, 2012

Food matters project: mostly whole wheat baguette

Photobucket If you know me, you know I am afraid of YEAST!!!  I avoid making bread, I leave the pizza dough for my husband to make...eeeeeeek!  Well, I Ned to get over myself, seriously.  I once owned a wholesale baking company, but dodged yeast, by focussing on muffin, scones, and shortbread. Ok, so I've watched bread being made hundreds of times, but I still turned to YouTube, just in case.  I didn't have to decide on a recipe, because I knew I would be making "Mostly Whole Wheat Baguettes" from Mark Bittman's The Food Matters Cookbook, so that lessened the stress.   I have to say, the baguette wasn't the traditional baguette, dense and a bit heavier, but good. The process wasn't hard.  I used my mixer and the dough hook.  I still had to get my hands on the the dough at the end to pull it all together.  Not a lot of kneading. I think yeast and I are finally friends. For the recipe, go to http://thefauxmartha.com/ and to check out other versions of the baguette, go to http://thefoodmattersproject.com/

6 comments:

  1. I would say that you triumphed over your fear of yeast! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Warm, fresh bread with butter and a glass of wine is one of life's little pleasures. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a fear of yeast as well. Which made me laugh, since I make my fiance do the pizza dough as well! =)

    Yours looks amazing- definitely keep trying, we'll get it one day, right?!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same fear! Great looking baguette!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your baguettes look great! I'm impressed, especially considering that this was your first bread baking experience. I'm no expert, but my loaves turned out flat and crescent-shaped!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could chew through BOTH of those breads (butter included) with the claws of my teef and you wouldn't even know what hit you. ((sigh)) I could do that. But I won't. That bread is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin