Saturday, November 1, 2014

Part-time Vegetarian: Stuffed Acorn Squash

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos I have said for years, "I would be a vegetarian if I had a chef who would cook for me". Don't get me wrong, I love a good steak, I could eat one everyday, but I shouldn't.  Ok, one more thing about steak, "in my opinion", tastes great and easy to prepare.  A vegetarian entree, not so easy.  I order vegetarian entrees when I go out to eat and love the layers of flavor and the endless time and effort put in to every bite.  Can't be easy.  Well, this month, I am going to prove myself wrong.  Every day, I will make a vegetarian recipe and I don't mean a raw tofu sandwich between 2 pieces of wheat bread.  Whatever I make has to be good.

I have picked up a copy of Vegetarian Times in the past and have even made a few recipes, but never really repeated many.  I also have a few vegetarian cookbooks, collecting dust.  Well, here we go!

Today, I was watching the tail end of the Jazzy Vegetarian on PBS.  I've never watched that show before, but seeing that I am going "part-time" vegetarian this month, I thought I'd try out one of her recipes.  It just so happened, she was making stuffed acorn squash, click  here for the original recipe, and I had an acorn squash in my kitchen.  I read through her recipe on line, changed a few things in her recipe, then went to the store.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Not a lot of prep and even less had I used dried herbs, but fresh is always better for me, especially if I have it available.
I substituted out the vegan margarine she used, for unsalted butter, fresh herbs for her dry Italian seasoning, and I was ready to go!  Also, I cut the recipe in half, I only had one acorn squash. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos The stuffed acorn squash going into a 400 degree oven for 40 minutes. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos So, the recipe says 1/2 acorn squash per person, but it's kind of a lot. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos After a big lunch and cheese and crackers before dinner, my husband and I split half of a half of the stuffed acorn squash and we were happy! Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photosxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin